403, 503, forbidden and such different errors are caused by the .htaccess file. This is the file that you will find in your cpanel. Many time it is required to edit these files, mainly when you have to enable Gzip compression on your blog. So, in this post I am providing few simple methods on “How do I edit .htaccess file from WordPress dashboard”.
Mainly to make the changes to these type of files you have to use the FTP clients like Filezilla, Cybereduck and so on. But here I have provided really easy steps to edit it directly through your WP dashboard.
Tricks to edit the .htaccess file from WordPress dashboard
Using WP .htaccess editor plugin
The best method to do is just installing the WP .htaccess editor plugin. Here are few steps on how to use this plugin:
- Install the plugin and activate it.
- Go to the HTaccess editor as shown below
- You will see an editing field like this shown below:
- After that make the desired changes here.
- Click on Save file.
- Your access files have been edited.
This is the easiest method of editing your .htaccess files in just few minutes.
Note: Don’t forget to back up your file before editing the htaccess files.
How to back up the htaccess file?
Just below the htaccess editor option, there is an option of backup. As shown below:
Just go to this option and generate a backup of your htaccess file.
If by any reason your website shows a bad response the changes you made to your .htaccess file, then restore the backup as shown below.
This is how you make a backup and restore it using WP htaccess file editor plugin.
Using SEO by Yoast
Another easy method of editing the .htaccess file is using the SEO by yoast plugin. Here are the steps to use this plugin for editing your .htaccess files.
- Go to edit files option in Yoast as shown below
- You will get a screen for editing the Robot.txt file and edit .htaccess file you can edit which ever file from here and save it.
- That’s it you have made changes to your files.
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial, any queries? Comment below.
Originally posted 2014-05-20 16:06:18.